subscribe via rss e-mail me facebook pinterest home Image Map

October 29, 2013

Heart+

I have had this idea for a quilt for a few months now. I am both happy and sad that I was able to make it. I made it for my Grandmother, who has been hospitalized a number of times for heart complications. Most recently was just last year, with multiple visits to the hospital and the threat of another surgery. It was after that time that I thought I should make her a 'hospital' quilt, for the next time she might find herself there. Of course the only pattern that came to mind is the plus sign.


But it's not just the plus sign. It's the symbol of hope. Imprinted throughout medical history as the place to go for help, nurturing, comfort and care. So, this is my contribution to the plus quilt, the red plus with a white heart and a healthy e.c.g. running through.


I made this for my Grandmother.
Luckily not because of her heart.
Unfortunately because she did have an unexpected surgery this past weekend,
to pin and screw 4 broken toes.  

It's a quilt I secretly hoped I would never have to make.
Now that it is made, I love it.


I didn't want to take away from the simplicity or cuddle-ablity of the quilt. I echoed the blocks, 1/4" from the edge. Except for the red ones. If you look closely, you can see the texture in the picture below.


I used 4 colors of thread, wanting to match the grays, tans and whites of the blocks, and the one red block. Giving the heart applique a little something extra. I love how it turned out. I love that it stands out on the back.


I don't usually label my quilts. In fact, my first label ever was for the quilt I made my Grandpa for his birthday. Here is the label I made for this quilt.


And a few extra shots of the quilt .... 




I am linking up to the Bloggers Quilt Festival.

AmysCreativeSide

This is my first year joining the festival, and really, it was all by chance.
I was browsing through the catergories today, and there are some amazing quilts entered. If you haven't already, take a few minutes (or an hour or two) to check out what some other seriously talented quilters have put together. You won't be disappointed.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful qult! Love the ekg quilting touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the heart effect. Really a thoughtful and beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - and I love the intent you put into it! Every detail is meaningful.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. I try my best to reply to each one.
However, if you are a no-reply blogger, I will not be able to respond.
Thanks, and have a great day!