subscribe via rss e-mail me facebook pinterest home Image Map

March 4, 2013

Spring Frame Wreath {a tutorial}

I have a fun wreath tutorial for you today, just in time for Spring!
It's quick, easy and beautiful!
I made this wreath over the weekend in no time. I saw my sister making one on Saturday. I went straight to Michaels and picked up a few things to make my own. 
I thought it would be perfect for a tutorial to share with y'all.

Here's what you'll need:

1. Frame in your preferred size (I used and 11x14, unpainted)
2. Paint. I used 2 coordinating colors
3. Spong brush


4. 6-foot floral garland
5. 1 1/2-inch wide ribbon
6. accessories of your choice.
I used birds & butterflies found in the floral department of most any craft store
(i went to michaels)

Additional supplies:
Glue gun or twist tie - or both.

Step 1: Paint the frame with your first color choice. let dry.
(one or two coats - which ever you prefer)


Step 2: Dab the sponge brush in your second paint choice and paint sporadically across the frame, using short strokes. Or, if your paint is not showing well enough, you can do what I did. I didn't think the green was showing very well and thought maybe the yellow would be a better color to paint on top. I painted the whole frame in green. After rinsing my brush, I went back over the mostly wet frame with the clean brush and took off the paint until my desired look. I think it worked better that way. At least for me :)



Step 3: Once paint is dry, wrap the garland around the frame, adjusting where needed, until you have a look you like. 



Step 4: I needed something to secure the garland before starting my next step, which was going to be hot glue. I grabbed a pretty sturdy twist tie and twisted around the two ends of the garland. It held in place so well that I ended up not using the hot glue after all. However, you could still hot glue the garland to the back of the frame in a few places for extra security.


Step 5: Accessories! Put them where you want!


Step 6: Attaching the ribbon. I measured approximately 2 1/4 yards of ribbon. Fold the ribbon in half and tie a double knot at your preferred lenghth for the frame to hand. Mine was at 14-inches. I then tied a bow a few inches below the double knot, so the box would not be hidden by the flowers. 


Step 7: Hang on your door and let your neighbors admire your gorgeous new framed wreath!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. I try my best to reply to each one.
However, if you are a no-reply blogger, I will not be able to respond.
Thanks, and have a great day!