October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween!



This year's Halloween costumes were a lot less stress to make, than in the past. My kids picked fairly easy costumes, which I started back in August (so I would have enough time to finish them, thinking they might be more difficult than what they ended up being). But then I put off all the finishing touches until last week.


This year for Halloween, my little girl wanted to be a pirate. I had a lot of fun with her accessories. 
I found a heart shaped eye patch in the costume section at Zurcher's. I added a flower/jewel embellishment to represent the missing eye. The little hat was also found at Zurcher's. It came with a very small black feather and little red ribbon. I replaced those with an ostrich feather and fatter pink ribbon to match her skirt.
The earrings and skeleton hand barrette are my favorites. I couldn't have found a better pair of earrings. I love them so much!


I combined a couple different pirate costumes to make her ensemble. I was, however, a little disappointed with the shirt I chose. I measured the length of the pattern to make sure it would be long enough for my tall girl, and it seemed like it would be the right length; even a little long. I must have forgotten about the seam allowances though, because after I had finished the top, it's just a tiny bit to short :( 
Luckily the belt hides that pretty well. 


My boy chose to be a parrot. He actually wanted to be a parrot with a pirate on his shoulder. We even found a skeleton pirate (it was all we could find), but then I couldn't quite figure out how to attach the skeleton without constantly falling down or being in his way of movement. Plus, I think he forgot about it :)

His wings were so easy to make! I made a template for the feathers, with 4 feathers in a row. I then sewed the feathers starting from the bottom and working my way to the top, curving the feathers as needed. The top row of feathers was cut on the fold and sewn with the fold over the raw edge. I attached elastics at the shoulders and wrists. 

 
I made the feet from foam and attached with a small elastic. One of the feet got ripped while he was at school, and the elastic in the other one popped out when we were taking it off. At least I was able to get a couple pictures with them on :)

And, if it wasn't hard enough to get a picture of them by themselves ...

This was the best picture I could get of them together.


Can you tell how much they don't want to be in the picture?!

Happy Halloween!




October 21, 2014

Busy As A Bee

In the past week and a half, I have sewn 2 quilt tops (1 for a tutorial - coming soon!), 3 quilt backs, finished 2 Halloween costumes, pin basted 3 quilts, tied 5 quilts and machine quilted 1! Needless to say, I've been quite busy lately, and I may have neglected all social media because of it.

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to machine quilt this fun Halloween quilt for my husband's aunt. It's called 'Witches Celebrate'. It is the free pattern for the Witch Hazel fabric by October Afternoon.

She gave me free range to quilt how I wanted to. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with the majority of the quilt as soon as I saw it. The only part I really had to think on was the maple leaf. In the end, I decided to curve around each seam and filled in the curves with lazy eights. Quilting so small in the corners was a little tricky.  

The pumpkin was easy. I simply made curves to make the ridges in pumpkins and filled a few with ribbon candy. It was my first time doing ribbon candy. 

I love this witch! As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted the witch to have hair. Although it doesn't show much on the quilt top, I did long skinny angled triangles to look like stringy hair. Swirls in the face and zig zags mixed with straight lines in the hat. 

I left the cat alone, since it was appliqued. I did trace around it, then stippled in the background. I did piano keys in the inner border and long swirls for the outer border. 

The thread blended pretty well on the top. Luckily, the backing was all white, so you can see the quilting really well. - - not sure if that's good or bad for me :)




I loved the corners in the inner border. For the piano keys, I followed one of the skinny black lines, but the corners I fanned out to turn with the border. I love the texture in this border; I love running my fingers over it to feel all the bumps. Kinda like I used to do on my Dad's piano when I was a kid.

I still have to take pictures of the Halloween costumes I made, and of course the other quilts that are waiting to be finished. I was hoping to have my tutorial quilted before posting, but I may take pictures of the top and show it quilted later. 

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a nice day!

October 1, 2014

Brick Quilt


My friend made this adorable brick quilt for her little girl. This is the first quilt she has ever made. 
Isn't it beautiful! She did such a great job! 


Over the weekend, I quilted and bound it for her. It was a pretty rainy weekend here, which gave me the perfect excuse for staying inside to quilt :)

I quilted it with an all-over meandering rose pattern. I had so much fun with this pattern! It was so easy -- and relaxing. Before I knew it, the whole quilt was finished!


I love the wavy petals, and the texture! Oh the texture! 
Just look at all that yummy texture!


You can hardly tell, but I doubled the batting. It was so thin, it needed a little extra for fluff and warmth. 
After a quick wash, it now has that scrunchy-soft homemade feel to it.
Finished at the right time, too. It's starting to get a little chilly here. 
This quilt will be perfect for the coming months :)