March 6, 2013


Scout. I picked this pattern up at last year's Fall Quilt Market, where it debuted.

I knew immediately I wanted to make it. I thought maybe my little boy would like it; but the more and more I thought about it, I knew I had to make it for my Grandpa. I love my Grandpa more than I could ever know how to say. He is the only Grandpa I have ever known, and as far as I'm concerned, He is the best Grandpa in the world!

He is constantly looking out for me & my family. He taught me from a young age, the importance of putting others first. There is never a meal shared with this man where he is not trying to pile your plate high, even if that means going without himself. Of course, none of us will allow it, but his thoughtfulness for others is incredible. He has taught me so much in my life.

You may or may not know that I have a booth at the farmer's market during the summer, where I sell starter plants for home gardens. It is only because of what my Grandpa has taught me about farming that I do this. Growing up, I had to help him with his harvest. At the time I hated it. But as I got older, I could see the importance of knowing how to grow your own food, and in time, became something I really enjoy.

My Grandpa's birthday was a couple weeks ago. He turned 85!
I knew this quilt would be perfect for his birthday. That is, if I could get it finished in time. I started the first week of January. I know what you're thinking. Of course that is enough time. Well, it would have been, if this didn't happen....

I had just started cutting the fabric for this quilt, when the blade slipped and got my thumb instead. I ended up going to Instacare 2 1/2 hours later. I came home and started cutting fabric again. I was able to cut and sew the quilt without too much hindrance.

It took about a month before I was able to use my thumb fully, which meant I had to wait to pin baste. I got the quilt basted the week before Grandpa's birthday. I started quilting and got about 1 1/2 columns done before the thread sensor stopped working. I took my machine in to be serviced. They said it would be 3-4 weeks before I would get it back, but they put me on a 'day of service' for a week later, with no guarantee that it would be done.

As much as I wanted this quilt to be done, there was nothing I could do but wait for my machine to be fixed. Luckily, they were able to fix it the following week. I got it back with 3 days to spare. I finished the quilt the day before my Grandpa's birthday. I even made my first quilt label!

My Grandpa loves the quilt. He was so surprised when he opened it.
I went over for a visit a couple days later and it is hanging on the banister. It's the first thing you see when you walk in!!
I am grateful I was able to finish this quilt in time for his birthday. I am even more grateful to have been able to share another birthday with my Grandpa. 


  1. Ouch, I've done that before. The quilt turned out beautifully though. I love the colors. Your grandpa is lucky and blessed to have a family that loves and respects him so much.

  2. I cut myself quite often too! I have started to just keep alot of bandaides around.
    so glad you had it done it time! My grandpa was a farmer too. I still take care of his apple trees, over 10 years since he passed.

  3. That is a beautiful quilt. I love the colors and the herringbone-esque pattern is one of my favorites. Can't wait to see it in person next time we get to Utah!

  4. What a lovely present. I'm sure he must have been thrilled to open it.

  5. Your finger... gah! So glad it wasn't too bad. I love the colors and pattern you chose for this quilt. It's perfect, really!


I love getting your comments. I try my best to reply to each one.
However, if you are a no-reply blogger, I will not be able to respond.
Thanks, and have a great day!