subscribe via rss e-mail me facebook pinterest home Image Map

October 21, 2014

Busy As A Bee

In the past week and a half, I have sewn 2 quilt tops (1 for a tutorial - coming soon!), 3 quilt backs, finished 2 Halloween costumes, pin basted 3 quilts, tied 5 quilts and machine quilted 1! Needless to say, I've been quite busy lately, and I may have neglected all social media because of it.

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to machine quilt this fun Halloween quilt for my husband's aunt. It's called 'Witches Celebrate'. It is the free pattern for the Witch Hazel fabric by October Afternoon.

She gave me free range to quilt how I wanted to. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with the majority of the quilt as soon as I saw it. The only part I really had to think on was the maple leaf. In the end, I decided to curve around each seam and filled in the curves with lazy eights. Quilting so small in the corners was a little tricky.  

The pumpkin was easy. I simply made curves to make the ridges in pumpkins and filled a few with ribbon candy. It was my first time doing ribbon candy. 

I love this witch! As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted the witch to have hair. Although it doesn't show much on the quilt top, I did long skinny angled triangles to look like stringy hair. Swirls in the face and zig zags mixed with straight lines in the hat. 

I left the cat alone, since it was appliqued. I did trace around it, then stippled in the background. I did piano keys in the inner border and long swirls for the outer border. 

The thread blended pretty well on the top. Luckily, the backing was all white, so you can see the quilting really well. - - not sure if that's good or bad for me :)




I loved the corners in the inner border. For the piano keys, I followed one of the skinny black lines, but the corners I fanned out to turn with the border. I love the texture in this border; I love running my fingers over it to feel all the bumps. Kinda like I used to do on my Dad's piano when I was a kid.

I still have to take pictures of the Halloween costumes I made, and of course the other quilts that are waiting to be finished. I was hoping to have my tutorial quilted before posting, but I may take pictures of the top and show it quilted later. 

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a nice day!

2 comments:

  1. The back of the Halloween quilt looks AMAZING! Sorry - just had to shout that. Not only is the quilting done well, it's a very creative design. Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilting looks really great, it's fun to see the back, especially the leaf! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. I try my best to reply to each one.
However, if you are a no-reply blogger, I will not be able to respond.
Thanks, and have a great day!