subscribe via rss e-mail me facebook pinterest home Image Map

June 25, 2014

Barn Block

Last week, I packed the kids up and took a little road trip to visit my brother.

While my brother was visiting for Christmas, he asked me to come visit him in the Summer. One thing we planned to do was make a barn block; something we started discussing in December!


During his visit, My brother mentioned how he would be raising chickens this Spring. I convinced him to paint the chicken coop like a barn, just so I could make a barn block :). I've been super excited about making it & patiently waiting for Summer to come!


The last day I was there, we started painting. Well, first we had to caulk around the windows, doors, and trim. By the time that was dry, it was 6pm. We painted until the sun went down.

My boy wanted to take some pictures of us. I have to say, I think he did a pretty good job!





We managed to get 3 sides painted red, and nearly all the trim done on 2 sides. The trim was a little trickier, since we had to work around the hardware. Taping took forever! 






Since this block was for the chicken coop, we decided on the chicken foot block.
I applied 3 coats of polyurethane to help keep it from the elements. It also gave it a nice shine!


We were only able to get one coat of paint on, and not quite certain if it would need a second coat. So, we weren't able to put the block on yet. 


Here's a rough look of how everything will look together. 


My brother is a bit of a goof ball! 


It would have been nice to have painted the whole coop, but it was a good time non-the-less. I'm pretty impressed in what we accomplished in a short amount of time. I can't wait to see it all finished. Plus, it was nice hanging out with my big bro again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. I try my best to reply to each one.
However, if you are a no-reply blogger, I will not be able to respond.
Thanks, and have a great day!