subscribe via rss e-mail me facebook pinterest home Image Map

February 3, 2014

Name That Quilt ~ Fabric Requirements


I am so excited at the response I've received for this quilt along. I can hardly wait to get started!
I keep thinking of more words for this quilt; my list of want-to-make's keeps growing. I'm hoping to use my stash for the majority of them, and hopefully put a huge dent in it!


I'm still working out some of the details, but in the meantime, there's no reason we can't pick out our fabrics! 

Because this quilt can be customized with any word, the fabric requirements will vary slightly from quilt to quilt. For the quilt along, I will be doing 2 sizes, Lap & Twin, and only 1 variation for the strips. I am putting together a full pattern for more sizes, including all variations for sewing the strips. But let's start out easy as I work to put the whole pattern together.

The Lap size,will measure approximately 55"x72". You will need a 1/4 yard fabric for each strip, plus a 8"x8" piece for each letter; 3 yards for background, 3 1/4 yards backing and 1/2 yard binding for a 2.5" double fold binding. You will also need enough fusible web to cover each letter square.

The Twin will measure approximately 72"x90". You will need a 1/4 yard fabric for each strip plus a 10"x10" piece for each letter; and 5 yards for background, 5 1/2 yards backing and 5/8 yard binding for a 2.5" double fold binding. You will also need enough fusible web to cover each letter square.

(Note: I'm being generous with the letters, just to give enough space for varying widths/heights of each letter possibility. The background fabrics are approximate, as it will vary depending on how many strips you have. You may need a little more, or a little less. Amounts are based off a 5 letter word.)

To give plenty of time to gather your materials (and time for me to test the pattern first), I'll post the cutting instructions in 2 weeks.

Here's a button for easy back tracking to all the quilt along posts..




 

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! I think I'm going to make this one instead of one off my WIP list! =) Now, to pick ONE word to start with...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. I try my best to reply to each one.
However, if you are a no-reply blogger, I will not be able to respond.
Thanks, and have a great day!