subscribe via rss e-mail me facebook pinterest home Image Map

July 17, 2012

my summer project

OH how I wish I could say my summer project this year is to hideaway in a cabin somewhere with an endless supply of fabric and my machine, sewing to my hearts content. BUT ... I have a few other things that need to be done first.

I am not ashamed to say I have a stupid little house, that I have a continuing love/hate relationship with. Right now I really hate it. My house was built in the late '40's. It started out with hardwood floors, then it carpeted and tiled and linoliumed. Later, the carpet was taken out, leaving the tile and linolium with a teeny 1/2" step. The back room floor was sanded and refinished before we moved in, by the previous owner. We asked that he finish the rest of the house, which he would not agree too without hiking the price to an unreasonable amount. I am tired of the floors looking so different. I never would have even thought about refinishing the floors had the one room not been done already. But that back room is a constant reminder of how great the floors could look. So this year, I decided all the floors need to match by the end of summer. Oh, and the kitchen needs to be tiled. The linolium is ugly, peeling and always looks dirty - no matter what.

Yes, my floors need a good washing as well. But, just look at the difference!

In preparation for this task, I am having to move, without the benefit of actually moving. It sucks.
I started slowly packing things a couple weeks ago. Starting with what seemed like the most logical, space taking area. My fabric! I probably should have thought this through a little better. I started packing everything, including all the little projects I wanted to do this summer. It doesn't look like I'll be sewing for a while. :(

I believe I have finally packed away the last bits of my fabric yesterday. I also stopped counting boxes after 10. I am dumbfounded at the amount of fabric I had laying around. Everytime I found extra fabric hiding someplace, I kept thinking 'why do i have so much fabric! why do i keep buying more!!' Then I look at what I found and say to myself 'because it's so pretty!'

quilt sandwiches waiting to be quilted, some store precuts, batting
and about 1/3 of my stash in boxes. the rest is in the garage.
I didn't even mention the 4-foot bins that are nearly overflowing with fabric, hiding under the bed. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that my stash has now acquired the name of S.a.b.l.e = Stash Accrued Beyond Life Expentancy.

I sent the kids away this past weekend and was able to make a huge amount of progress! All that's left is the really big things, like furniture. oh and I still have to clean off my bed. I've been sleeping on the couch for the past couple weeks, as my bed has become sort of a catch all for things I didn't know what to do with right away.


My little angel has also taken to artistry. You may remember the nail polish incident a few months back (i still need to follow up on that. i found some amazing cleaner that removed 90% of the nail polish). That same day, he colored on the walls with a sharpie. I have no idea where he got the sharpie from. None-the-less, the walls will also need to be painted. I just can not decide on a color!

close up of my little michaelangelo's first mural

My hope is to have the house ready for the sander by the end of the week, so that I can start on the floors next week. Y'all are welcome to come help ;)


~:~:~:~:~

New lines from Moda arriving later this week, with no place to put it.
Help a gal out. visit the store, please. There's some great stuff over there!



1 comment:

  1. good luck! I am sure it will be beautiful when it's all done. And reorganizing the fabric as you unpack will be fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. I try my best to reply to each one.
However, if you are a no-reply blogger, I will not be able to respond.
Thanks, and have a great day!