subscribe via rss e-mail me facebook pinterest home Image Map

October 7, 2011

Acorn Bisque & Garlic-Parmesan Rolls

Temperatures have dropped this week. It's been rainy and even a little snowy in the valley, and a lot snowy in the mountains! These colder temps really make me wanna have something nice and warm and fresh from the oven. Yesterday, while it is was pouring rain, I made some Acorn Bisque and fresh rolls. I could have eaten all the soup, but my hubby would have been quite upset if I did not save some for him (Especially since he had to leave for work before it was finished and was probably dreaming of it all day).

I thought I would share this warm goodness with y'all. I love winter squashes. I have an abundance growing in my garden every year. We eat it in every possible way at my house. I'm not really sure where my love for squash came from or when it started. I hated it as a kid. I remember having to sit at the table and my parents telling me I couldn't leave until I'd eaten all my squash. It was always the last thing left, quickly getting cold. Which somehow always changed the flavor to even more gross. Funny how our tastebuds evolve as we get older. I won't tell you about the best squash I ever had, I don't want to keep boring you with all this talk about squash. Let's just get on to the good stuff ...

Here is my recipe for Acorn Bisque.


Acorn Squash Bisque

Serves 4
2 acorn squashes (3 pounds total)1 tablespoon butter1 medium onion, finely choppedCoarse salt and ground pepper1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth1/2 cup half-and-half

1.       Place squashes on a paper towel and microwave on high just until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the microwave, and halve each squash lengthwise (to speed cooling). When cool enough to handle, scoop out and discard the seeds. Scrape out flesh into a bowl; discard skin. (To prepare in oven, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Halve squash lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, on a rimmed baking sheet; cover tightly with aluminum foil. Roast until almost tender when pierced wtih a knife, 15 to 25 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scrape out flesh, discard skin, and proceed with step 2).
2.       In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add squash, thyme, broth, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce to medium, and cook until squash is very tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
3.       Working in batches, puree mixture in a blender until very smooth, about 1 minute. Return to pan; add half-and-half, and season generously with salt and pepper. Thin bisque, if needed, by adding more water. Serve garnished with thyme.


And, as an added bonus, I made these Garlic-Parmesan Rolls I found on The Our Best Bites site. If you haven't visited them before, you should. They have great, easy, quick recipes.
These rolls were a huge hit! I think Paisley ate 3! They were all gone by the end of the night.


Quick & Easy Garlic-Parmesan Rolls

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
4-5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (fresh or canned)
20 rise and bake frozen rolls (like Rhodes)

Place the butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning in a microwave-safe dish and heat until melted. Whisk in the Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
Place the frozen dough balls in a large bowl. Drizzle the butter/cheese mixture over the dough and then toss quickly to evenly coat the dough in the butter and cheese. Place the dough in a 9×13″ pan and allow to rise until doubled (follow the package directions). Bake according to package directions until the rolls are evenly golden on top and serve as soon as you can pull them apart without hurting yourself. Makes 20 rolls.

Hope y'all enjoy this as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. I try my best to reply to each one.
However, if you are a no-reply blogger, I will not be able to respond.
Thanks, and have a great day!